Hi guys! I wanted to talk to you for a minute about me and OHC and sort of my journey to my current writing style.
First a little bit about me:
- I am a total goofball but even more so once I get to know you better and feel comfortable around you.
- I love inappropriate humor.
- I swear a lot. No, really I do.
- I’m a firm believer that in order to get respect you have to give it as well.
- If I like you, I will try my hardest to let you know that as often as I can.
- It takes me a while to trust people because so many people have shit on my head in the past but once I do, I’ve got your back.
- Yes I’m a girl and I fart. A lot. Just ask Scott because in order to break up the monotony of the work day (we share an office) we hold contests. It’s one of many contests we do and I’ll spare you some of the others.
- I like to talk if I feel comfortable in the setting and I love making people laugh. I usually make some sort of joke or sarcastic comment during the majority of a conversation.
- I hate labels, mostly because I don’t fit into any type of box, structure, or stereotype.
- Except that I’m Polish and you will have to pry the kielbasa out of my cold dead hands before I will give it up.
- I don’t usually wear makeup and am just now getting to the point where posting a picture of me that way is becoming easier.
- I mentioned that I’m silly, right?
I seriously could go on and on but I’m just trying to give you a starting point, a foundation if you will, on the basics of me.
When I first started this blog and was writing my daily eats entries, I was so reserved it wasn’t funny. The other food blogs I saw were happy go-lucky, rainbows, and puppies all the time. This is what I thought the foodie blogworld liked. This is what I thought they wanted.
This is not me at all. I’m not saying I’m all emo angsty, it’s just that I like keeping things a little more “real”. Showing the realistic side of life and not just the happy-shit-grin side.
In the beginning, the only time my real humor sort of came out was when I was wrote review posts and sometimes the Tuesday Tip posts. For some reason I felt that maybe my style of humor was only acceptable in those type of posts. I have no idea why I thought this, but there it is.
Then I stumbled on a few blogs that made me realize that humor was acceptable. These folks talked smack! And I don’t mean that in the sense that they trash talked others, I just mean they were full of inappropriate humor, life, and just shiz.
To me these were some very real-life foodie blogs and I thanked the baby jeebus for stumbling across these blogs. They helped me realize that there are others out there like me and whose humor is like mine! Hopefully they know who they are.
These blogs helped me understand that I need to get over it and be myself already. Before I was afraid because part of the reason I started this blog was to make connections with others, but I’m so used to people being turned off by my personality (no seriously, most peeps just don’t get me and therefore can’t handle my personality) that I figured it would be the same way in the blogsphere.
However, in real life I don’t give a flip what someone thinks about me. If you like me, awesome! Let’s be friends! If you don’t like me, whatever, and I move on. I don’t stress about it.
I needed to apply my same real world rule to the blog world. It was an Aha! moment for me. Why it took me so long, I don’t know. Perhaps I just needed the time to get comfortable in this new skin called Off Her Cork.
For those that have been around since the beginning, you have probably noticed that my style of writing my daily eats has dramatically changed. Scott likes to call them my crackhead posts, and he means that in as sincere a way as possible when calling someone a crackhead. He means they are funny. He means they are me.
Pure and simple, my posts and my writing style have become more me. I have realized that either you will like me and my blog or you won’t.
I’m not going to cover up who I am anymore nor am I going to try to hold back in my writing. Does that mean you can now expect the f-bomb to be dropped a lot? No, just more of what you’ve been seeing, the goofy stuff, the inappropriate humor, me and my huge Polish schnoz nose makeup-less.
More of me just trying to be me.