January 26th, 2010: And here we are again

Monday night while Scott and I were eating dinner, the wind picked up and it started snowing.  Like crazy snowing and within about 5 minutes our deck was covered.  The remainder of the evening it went back and forth between snow and freezing rain.  Nice.  Does not make for lovely driving conditions or lovely conditions period.

I woke up  to about 3 inches of snow and some ice on the roads.  The weather was cold and it was windy.  That meant it was back to two layers of clothes and YakTrax for running yesterday morning. *sigh*

Now there are parts of winter running that just stink.  But one of the worst?  Is when you get a break from all that winter weather for a bit.  We had temps in the 50s, the snow melted, and I only had to wear one pair of pants for my morning runs.  When you get to experience the joys of such a break only to wake up the next morning smack dab back into the middle of winter, it’s a little, disheartening to say the least.  It can make you really cranky if you aren’t careful.

I tried my best but wow the weather got to me this morning.  It was windy and cold and I was tired.  Huge mental games I had to play with myself to keep going and crank out those five miles.  But I did it!  Even though my HRM was totally out to lunch, telling me my HR was flip-flopping between 40 and 79.  It said that I burned 100 calories during my 50 minute 5 mile run.


I have no idea what is up with that little bug.  He’s only going on 2 years old so he shouldn’t be having a mid-life crisis just yet.

I was starving this morning and could not wait to be done with my shower to hit the oat pan.  Mmmm oats!  I made a huge batch too just so I could dive into a large bowl headfirst.

And I totally did.

Rocky and I kicked it for a walk which despite the fact it was noon and hours since my run, it was colder, windier, and things were starting to refreeze.  Awesome.

Smoothie yesterday kicked major ass.  It was thick like a shake and was very tart.  I think it might be the combo of blueberries and cranberry-pom juice that caused that.

  • 1C Carrot juice
  • 1C Unsweetened Cranberry-Pom juice
  • 1C Water
  • Spinach
  • Frozen blueberries
  • Frozen mango
  • Frozen peaches


To be perfectly honest, sometimes during situations like yesterday, I don’t really want to leave my house when the evening rolls around.  It’s true.  It’s total winter hibernation going on.  It’s dark and cold outside and I would rather be in a warm bed than bundling up and heading out the door.  I suppose some people feel the same way about early morning workouts?  But I’m a morning person (please note this does not mean I am chatty/chipper/happy/talkative, it just means I would rather get up and get stuff taken care of!) so I would rather get things done early and have the evenings to myself.

I didn’t let it keep me down yesterday though!  I was done with work and Scott (he’s been having a lot of work and freelance stuff going on.  Good for moolah not so good for freetime) had no meetings on the schedule so off to MT class we went for a lovely workout.

Back home for Fish Tuesday!

We had flounder and I decided to make some extra because I was hungry plus I wanted extra for Scott’s lunch the next day.  Wrong-oh! This fish cooked up really small and even though I took two pieces they were super tiny and not enough.  I gave Scott most of the fish because I’m considerate like that and ended up taking some rice which I didn’t even want in the first place.  Oh well, live and learn!  The fish was seasoned with:

  • Coconut oil
  • Olive oil (to help bring the smoke point up a bit)
  • Soy sauce
  • Curry powder
  • Garlic powder

YUM!  Baked at 400 for about 5 minutes.

On the side was some roasted cauliflower and jasmine rice.  The cauliflower was so so good!  It had:

  • Olive oil
  • Soy sauce
  • Garlic powder
  • Chili powder
  • S&P
  • Red pepper flakes

Scott kept talking about how fantastic the cauliflower was so I must have done something right! :p  The last of the coleslaw also made an appearance.  I made it through one period of hockey and then went to bed.  I was asleep by about 10:30 and it was awesome!


Looky I got something in the mail!  Whitney from I Run, I Sweat sent me some very awesome toe and handwarmers to wear during my runs!  They came just in time too!  She also sent me some Clif bars and biodegradable doggie bags.  Oh yeah!  Do you all read her blog because you totally should if you do not. :D  Thanks Whitney!

6 thoughts on “January 26th, 2010: And here we are again

  1. I need to get some of those toe warmers – STAT!!!

    My HRM was doing the same thing – I had to replace the battery in the transmitter & it is as good as new!


  2. I am the same type of morning person. I love to get my stuff done early so I can relax in the evening.

    I am bummed the weather got cold here too. It was so much warmer on Sunday.

  3. a says:

    I totally feel like I don’t want to leave the house when the weather is horrid and cold outside. I am a total homebody though and can last for days without going outside , read:being a hermit .

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.