January 22nd, 23rd, and 24th, 2010: catch up

Hi gang! I’m so sorry for going off grid but we’ve been so busy with just life that I haven’t had much of a chance to sit at the computer and type out a post.  It happens. :D  So let’s tap the way back machine and get going!

Friday, Jan. 22nd:

Thursday evening before the show, we headed over to a local Chinese place for dinner. I had pad thai and there’s no picture.  I was starving you see and since you all have seen pad thai numerous times here, I did not take a picture.  It’s pad thai from the place we normally get takeout from, so it’s been featured.  Plus, I just wanted to enjoy dinner without worrying about the perfect shot, I fully own that.  I am coming to terms (slowly!) with the fact that not everything has to be photographed.

Now I have to get a few grumbles off my chest.  They are totally food related but if you do not want to read the grumps, feel free to move along.

1. I cannot say never, because who knows what could happen in the future, but I hope to not have to eat toast and fruit for breakfast again (See’s Thursday’s post for a refresher).  It did not fill me up and in fact left me empty feeling for the rest of the day.  I never reached the satisfied and content stage after the meal.  I was missing my whole grains!  Even after lunch I was sort of “empty” feeling.  Not empty hungry but empty like something was missing.  By the time we got to dinner I was starving and even dinner didn’t fill me up.

Which brings me to grump #2.

2. This particular Chinese place is such that when you dine in you actually get less food for your money.  If you get takeout, you get way more food.  It’s weird.  AND they skimp on veggies like whoa.  I ordered veggie pad thai last night with extra veggies ($1 worth, whatever that means) and really I couldn’t even tell there were veggies in this dish.  It was so lame with the veggies.  In the grand scheme of things, veg for restaurants is cheap cheap, so what is with the skimp?

I could have easily cleared my plate but I didn’t because I don’t want to fill up on noodles.  I want to get full from real food; veggies and protein.  Not noodles and not rice.  Nothing wrong with those they just are not my preference.  I have the worst time tracking down veggies when we dine out.  I don’t understand it!  Give up the goods and gimme some produce already.  Jeeze.

We went to our first show at Shadowbox and it was amazing!  I had a very overpriced glass of wine but I didn’t really care it was overpriced because everything goes towards the show and the workers.  Shadowbox is a mix of comedy skits and music.  It was awesome and I can’t wait to check it out again! The show is hilarious and the band kicks ass; if you are a local definitely check it out.

We got home late and I snugged in bed chatting with Scott.  It was probably going on close to midnight when I tucked myself in bed for sleeping purposes.

I got up Friday morning and was ready to start my rest day.  I patted myself on the back for listening to my own advice and still working out Thursday because there was no way I felt like doing anything.  Fridays are three cups of coffee days and I enjoyed that to the max.

I did have a huge bowl of oatmeal which was very sad but I didn’t care because it was oats.  Gimme those grains!  I’m out of bananas and the apple I added in was a bit mealy so it turned a little too soft during the cooking process.  I couldn’t be bothered to care if I’m to be honest, I just wanted to eat some food.  I had a bit of a greater appreciation for my oatmeal breakfast having dealt with the toast void the day before.

Lunch was beyond lame.  We were out of everything, no salad fixings, no fresh fruit, not even any carrots period!

There was a smoothie, frozen burrito and some dried fruit (apricots, prunes, raisins).  I switched burritos with Scott, he was having an Amy’s one.  I just was not feeling the one I made for myself, so what is pictured isn’t what I actually ate.  The Amy’s burrito was alright but this lunch was heavy which is no surprise since there wasn’t enough raw for me.

It was so heavy that I never really had an appetite the rest of the day.

Scott’s laptop crapped out on him and he spent the rest of the day backing stuff up and trying to his computer to boot.  I was having a blah day so I did some stuff around the house.  I got out of my funk because Scott said we should hit the grocery store. :p  Hooray! That meant I could get some veggies.  We just went to Kroger and I got myself some dinner as well.

Veggie sushi with brown rice! With actual veggies in it and some spicy Thai dressing for dipping.  I also sipped on some of Scott’s beer, Sam Adam’s Winter Lager.  I ate that whole container of sushi too!  Normally I have sushi with lunch and can only eat about three to four pieces.  Having it with dinner is a whole other ballgame and I was able to eat much more.  MMM!  One of the keys to sushi with me is having something to dip it into, soy sauce doesn’t cut it.  I need something with more flavor.

We watched hockey and then I kicked it in bed early because I was passing out.

Saturday, Jan. 23rd:

I got up early Saturday morning and sat on the couch watching some TV and drinking coffee.  Scott got up and I made us some pumpkin oatbran, still with no banana because they were not ripe enough yet.  We chatted for a bit and then got ready for MT class.

Yesterday was a big errand day for us.  After class we did some stuff and then came home for lunch.  I made us a big lunch because I was starving (I blew through the oatbran and was already hungry when MT class started!) and wanted some food already!

Basic lunch with smoothie:

  • The juices
  • 1C Water
  • Spinach
  • Frozen yogurt cubes
  • Frozen blueberries
  • Frozen mango
  • Frozen peaches

With the addition of some vegan nuggets on the side for extra protein power:

I get these from Whole Foods, in the prepared foods section.  They are so good!

Scott had to run to Micro Center to get a program to help reboot his laptop and some additional stuff like backup drives.  I knew he would take forever and I can’t stand Micro Center so I had him drop me off at Filene’s and DSW while he did his stuff.  Filene’s is having a big sale clearing out all their winter gear.  I got two sweaters, two t-shirts, and a pair of dark chocolate cords for a great price.  No shoes though, boo.  I looked real hard too! ;)

After he picked me up, we walked over to Whole Foods to pick up a few things.  Whole Foods was packed for a Saturday night!  And I was surprised by how many people were having their dinners there as well.  It’s not a destination spot I would have pictured for people going out on a Saturday night.

By the time we got home it was late in the evening and I was hungry and tired.  Not a good combo at all!  Thankfully I’ve got a freezer full of yumtastic stuff.

I pulled out some sauerkraut stew (veggie bigos) and heated that up along with some beer bread.  YUM!  And it was perfectly comforting for me.  So good!  We watched more hockey and then I crashed out in bed around 10pm.  I was wiped out.

Sunday, Jan. 24th:

The weather called for rain all day today, I knew this before hand.  My plan was to get my run in and walk Rocky before the weather turned.

I was wrong.  At 6:30 this morning I was awoken to the sound of thunder.  I initially thought it was a plane flying over but when it started pouring rain I knew it was actually thunder.  Damn.  I turned off my alarm and hoped it would be done raining when I got up.

The answer to that was no, no it was not done raining.  I did two levels of shred plus some extra weight stuff instead.  It was fine and I felt pretty bangin’ afterwards but I had really been looking forward to a long run.  When you enjoy distance running, long run days are something you start looking forward to.  When you can’t get it, you can feel sort of off balance.

I will make up for it this week and try to squeeze it in if I can.

After a quick shower it was time for some yogurt and granola.  Hooray!  And check out what I scored at Whole Foods:

A huge freaking tub of Fage!  And by tub I mean this is 33oz of Fage love.  WHOOO!  Whole Foods started carrying the large tubs of 0% Fage but I don’t eat that and started praying they would carry the 2% soon.  I saw a slot for it but it was always empty.  Scott surprised me by saying, “Look what I put in the cart.”  He was in charge of gathering the yogurt.  Squeals of delight and dances of joy commenced.

You know I opened that bad johnny today!

With granola and some dark chocolate chips.  YUM!  We’ve been out of yogurt for what seems like forever and I was very happy to be able to munch on this today.

I ate breakfast and then went back into the kitchen to get dinner ready for this evening.  I got everything assembled into the crockpot and also made the side dish.  While I was prepping the side dish, Scott made his way downstairs.  We chatted for a little while and then I made some Sunday breakfast.

I heated up some waffles from the freezer, gingerbread flavor.  And topped them with nutty seed topping and some French Vanilla Stoneyfield.

Mmm mmm!  The topping had:

  • Sunflower and pumpkin seeds
  • Crushed nuts (pecans, walnuts, cashews)
  • Ground flax
  • Wheat Germ

Maple syrup to hold everything together.  Very tasty!

There was fruit in the middle, orange and banana.  Then I got up and added in another orange and banana since both of us wanted more fruit today.  I did not have that third waffle, I was pretty full after two!

The original plan was to put away Christmas decorations today but since we have been running around nonstop since Thursday, that didn’t happen.  I wanted some time with my hunnies today so we hung out.  Our time made even longer since I already prepped dinner!

We had pulled pork!  I have been wanting to make this for ages and got a chance today!

Pork butt roast with bone that I seasoned with:

  • S&P
  • Garlic powder
  • Chili powder
  • Smoked paprika
  • Grill seasoning

In the crockpot with onions, green peppers, chipotle pepper, and chicken stock.  Once that cooked for a few hours I shredded it and pulled some aside for Scott’s leftovers tomorrow.  Then I added some salsa to what was in the crockpot and let that heat through for a few minutes.  Quick guacamole for the top.

Served on blue taco shells from Whole Foods!

The side was some purple slaw, hold the mayo.  Purple cabbage, red onion, and shredded carrot with a mustard and vinegar base.

There was also some Fage yogurt and shredded cheddar for Scott to use as toppings.  I passed, wasn’t feeling cheese and already had two servings of yogurt today! :p

Dinner was awesome!  The taco shells from Whole Foods were light and crispy, not heavy or greasy.  The pulled pork was delish and the slaw was outstanding.  A very fabbo Sunday Supper!  Woo!

Now I’m off to sit on the couch and watch some hockey and hopefully have time for an old movie as well.  There will most definitely be wine and dessert in my future! :D

4 thoughts on “January 22nd, 23rd, and 24th, 2010: catch up

  1. I totally get you on the toast thing. I really don;t understand how people can just be satisfied with a slice of toast for breakfast. Maybe it’s because I am like you, and run first thing in the morning, but I am STARVING for a big bowl of carbs and whole grains. A piece of toast is what I eat on the side of my big bowl of oatmeal! ;)

    Glad you had a great week and finally got that yogurt back in your life.

    Night sweetie

  2. I just want to say that I can relate and agree with your food gripes. It’s a big problem for me when eating out and not getting things that I want/need, I have a hard time justifying eating enough. But I would rather fill up on healthy nutritous things!

  3. Oh gosh. I hate it when asian restaurants skimp on the veggies AND give you less. Sometimes I ask for more veggies and it is still a third of what I would eat at home. What can I say, I LOVE my veggies!

    Is Scott’s computer okay after he visited the store?

    I want to try those vegan nuggets!

    Oh… I totally know what you mean about feeling off when you don’t get your long run in! I like to run in the am, and if I don’t get to, I feel weird. And if I don’t get to run at all… watch out. That is my ME time!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.