August 9th, 2009: leftover rescue

Hi gang!  I’m terribly sorry for being MIA yesterday but dang yesterday was just a whirlwind of a day!

First we have to back up to Saturday night quick.

Sweet potato fries and red wine Maltballs

I wasn’t done munching, so I split some sweet potato fries with Scott and had a glass of red.  Then two maltballs (not Whoppers! I don’t eat those.) :D  Okay, moving on!

I got up at 7am to head out for my run and slammed into THE WALL of humidity when I was outside with Rocks.  Lord!  I really shouldn’t complain all that much because this summer has basically been a runner’s dream summer.  In the mornings and evenings it really has not been all that miserable with heat.  Yesterday was the first seriously humid day we’ve had in quite sometime. Okay it was humid when I did my 4mile race but yesterday’s was worse than that.  The humidity gave me a chance to test out some new running shorts that I bought.  I busted out a fantastic 4miles.  My hammies were a bit tight from MT class on Saturday a result of practicing a bunch of head kicks on Scott (yes that means I was actually kicking at his head and he had to block.  Good times!) but it didn’t interfere with my run too much.

Chocolate soymilk

A glass and a half of CS and then it was back out the door to get Rocky’s walk done before it got even more hot outside.  I stretched, changed into recovery clothes, and had some coffee and a small piece of toast for post-run fuel.

Coffee and toast

It was a piece of fiber and flax toast with some PB and honey.  There is good reason why I don’t eat this bread often, because it fills me up for what feels like ages!  It was all we had in the house since our supplies were depleted.  I putzed around for just a short time and in that short time I saw Giada make an entire meal with several different kinds of pastas and I think this is the only show of hers where I sort of cringed.  She literally had like 4 different kinds of pasta dishes for the dinner.  Probably doesn’t seem like a huge deal to others but for someone who doesn’t eat pasta much, it was pasta overload to me.  My first thought was, “How would I handle myself being at a party like that? What would I do?”  And I guess the answer is, I would take super small bites of everything to be polite and seem like I’m eating.  And then eat real food once I got back home.

I shook my head to erase the image of that meal, and started prepping some snacks.  Scott and I had a SF meeting in the afternoon and I was told to bring snacks.  I made spiced cashews, because it was easy and that’s what I had on hand.

Then I got busy making Sunday Breakfast for Scott and I.


Pancakes!  Whoo!  Blueberry and walnut pancakes with a mix of cornmeal and WW pastry flour.  Dipped into some maple syrup.

Chicken sausage

Cinnamon chicken apple sausage from WF.


The last of this round of melons.


Smoothie!  I needed veggies to fortify me for the day:

  • 1C US cranberry juice
  • 1C OJ
  • 1C pineapple juice
  • Spinach
  • Beet
  • Carrot
  • Frozen banana
  • Frozen blueberries
  • Frozen pineapple


Smoothie, sausage, pancakes, and watermelon

Breakfast was fantastic!  Okay, well the sausage was a bit odd and I don’t think I would get it again.  But everything else was super tasty!  I cleaned up the kitchen, showered, and got dressed for the day.  Then it was off to the meeting.  The meeting lasted a while and by the time we got home, it was pushing 6pm.

I fed Rocky and got him taken care of as quickly as I could because we were going back out to hit the grocery store.  I was a bit nervous about going on a Sunday evening and having to deal with the crazah weekend crowd but to my surprise the store wasn’t that busy.  There were people there but nothing like what you would see on a Saturday afternoon for example, which was what I expected.

Most time was spent in the produce section and I breezed through the other aisles.  Finally at 7:30, we hit the checkout!  Where the cashier said to me, “Do you actually get through all this produce before it goes bad?”  Um, yes.  Yes we do. :D  We are produce lovin’ people at the HQ!

Home, and I put things away as quickly as I could.  I put my jammies on and slammed dinner in the oven to heat up.  Remember those stuffed peppers I made not to long ago, and froze? They came in mighty handy last night at 8:30pm when the last thing I wanted to do was start cooking!  I put them in the oven to heat up while I quickly chatted with my mom.

Salsa and guacamole

Scott was about two seconds away from gnawing off his foot, so I made a quick and dirty guacamole and put out some salsa.  Multigrain chips for me!  I had a few nibbles while dinner heated up.  Sorry for the crap picture, but I was in such a rush!

Stuffed pepper

The peppers had:

  • Brown jasmine rice
  • Pinto beans
  • Onions
  • Green peppers
  • Jalapeno pepper
  • Zucchini
  • Carrot
  • Broccoli

Stuffed pepper

I topped it with some salsa and let it cook.  Then I added some shrimp and cheese for the last few minutes of cooking.  I had one pepper and a few bites of another and called it done.

Cleaned up the kitchen and Scott poured some wine.

White wine

A nice glass of white while we watched the Roast of Joan Rivers.  Oh goodness it was horrible!  I know the roasts are silly and totally staged and what not.  But at least most of them seem to have people who actually know the person they are roasting.  Carl Reiner and Kathy Griffin were the only ones who seemed to actually really know Joan.  Everyone else seemed like they were just there because they had nothing else to do.  It was really really bad.  I honestly felt bad for Joan for getting such a crappy roast.  After that was over, this grandma hit the hay! :)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.