March 22nd, 2009: Breakfast and lunch

Hi guys!  Wow what a different a day can make!  My day of taking it easy, light foods, and emergen-C has paid off.  Today I am back to my old ornery self. ;)

I got up this morning just past 7am and was ready to tackle my newest long run.  Hell yes I was running today.  Being off on Friday and missing MT yesterday made me long for some exercise.  I followed Tina’s rule of working out when sick (the rhyming is all mine baby):

If it’s above the neck, you’re good to go.

Below the neck, rest and take it slow.

Since my issues were mostly a sore throat, I decided that I can most definitely knock out a run.  Hello 7miles!  I had the now norm 1/2 Zbar and was out the door.  It was chilly this morning but I still wore my capris because I love them and could not bear the thought of putting on heavier pants.  I did a lovely easy run today at a nice pace.  I felt awesome and now know that I for sure am taking two days off running before my 1/2.  I knocked out the first 3.5 no problem, it was going back around for the second 3.5 where I started slowing a bit.  It was all mental and I fully realized this and made myself get over it.  Which I did.  I told myself that I could have run the full 13.1 today if I had a chance.  It would have been slow for sure, and there would have been a walk break or two, but I could have done it.  And that got me through the 7 miles today (in 1:17 , not bad).

I was tired after my run but refreshed and invigorated.  Today was the first day where I didn’t feel scared at the notion of the upcoming 1/2.  I finally realized that I can do this.  My 1/2 mantra that I keeping muttering to myself is:

Start slow and steady then finish strong.

This is exactly what I plan to do.

When I got home, my legs needed some serious cool down time, they were not ready to jump into some yoga stretches.  It was a nice morning so I put on a heavier hoodie and some gloves, then was back out the door with Rocky.  I didn’t even have any CS!  I know is this crazy or what?!  Today is the first day since I started running last July where I have not had some CS after my run.  All I was thinking about was getting back outside to cool my legs down.  I walked Rocks, came home and immediately changed into some recovery clothes.  Then I started yoga stretching.  As I was stretching, my Scotty-loves got up and came downstairs.  Highly unusual for him to be up so early on a Sunday.  However, I was excited because all I wanted in the world at that very moment was some flipping oatbran.

Would you be at all surprised if I told you that I am completely ravenous today and all I want to do is stuff my face?  I didn’t think so, you all know me too well. :D

I asked him if he would be cool with that and of course he was, so I made a big honkin’ batch of it.  I didn’t even really want any mix-ins either, just creamy oatbran and some spreadable crack, AKA vanilla almond butter.

But first! While I was prepping breakfast I snacked on some milk chocolate chips.

chocolatey goodies

chocolatey goodies

Oh snap, yes I did.  Because it’s Sunday.  Because I feel so much better.  Because I can!  I only had three though and then I realized that milk chocolate is just a bit too sweet for me now. :o  Normally I’m all over chocolate.  But since my sweet intake has gone way down (not that it was high before, but it was higher than it is now), I am now finding things I used to like as being too sweet.  Milk chocolate chips are the perfect example.  These to me were so sweet they made me pucker.  Craziness!  So I stopped and then breakfast was ready.

gigantor bowl

gigantor bowl

Check out the mondo bowl of oatbran, huge scoop of spreadable crack, and also some coffee.  Oatbran made:

  • 1 1/3 C of soymilk
  • 1/3 C of oatbran
  • 1 mashed banana
  • Pinch salt and cinnamon
  • 1 TBSP ground flax
  • 1 small scoop whey protein powder

I flipping inhaled that entire bowl as well.  Read some blogs and did some office stuff.  Then I showered and felt even tons more better after that.  And then not long after all of that, I made Sunday Breakfast.

Ravenous, I’m telling you.

finally content for a while

finally content for a while

We had turkey bacon (I only ate 2 slices) with egg in a hole (12 grain bread).  Mmmm and in the middle was a red delicious and an orange with a bit of 2% fage and some maple syrup.  Perfect Sunday breakfast!

Now I have no idea what the day has in store for us.  I guess I should go find out!

catching some rays

catching some rays

5 thoughts on “March 22nd, 2009: Breakfast and lunch

  1. Great job on your 7 miler today! I think taking two days off before the big race might be in my future too.

    I hate to admit it – but I didn’t run AT ALL this weekend. I don’t know how to bounce back now – so mad at myself for being lazy :(

    • Heather, I’m going off the runnersworld schedule, and they actually have it set for a 2 mile run the day before the race. I know I can’t do that and I’m my best with a day off. However since it’s a 1/2, I’m giving myself two days off. :)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.