I made a few changes to accomodate what I had on hand along with adjusting to suit our tastes.
Below is the original recipe from Jess:
Italian Chocolate Meatball Cookiesfrom Dianna Petrella’s recipe (a family friend)Ingredients
- 1 cup shortening (yes, you have to use shortening or something like Earth Balance – unfortunately butter just doesn’t work right)
- 1.5 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder (Hershey’s, Ghirardelli, or Scharffen Berger are good)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 cup walnuts (finely chopped)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chocolate chipsInstructionsMix all ingredients in a large bowl (ideally you would do this in a stand mixer if you have one; I wouldn’t recommend a hand mixer unless you’ve got an industrial strength one). Roll into balls. Bake at 350º for 10-15 minutes. Cool and dip tops into confectionary sugar frosting and sprinkle tops with confetti. Freeze for up to three months. Yields 4-5 dozen.For frosting, mix 3 cups confectionary sugar, 2 Tbsp milk, and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- I didn’t have shortening, so I used 1/2C coconut oil as a sub.
- I also don’t have milk, so I subbed in 1C of warm unsweetened coconut milk.
- I used 2C Unbleached All Purpose Flour and 3C White Whole Wheat Flour
- Used 1/2C Cane Sugar
- And I didn’t have any raisins so I had to leave that ingredient out.